Hire an Attorney to Stop Debt Collector Harassment
November 17, 2008
What is the most effective way to stop abuse and harassment by debt collectors? Hire an attorney.
Unfortunately, debt collectors can resort to tactics which are abusive and unlawful. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires debt collectors to Under this federal law, it is illegal for a debt collector to:
- Communicate with your employer, relatives or friends about your debt unless the court has given the collector permission to do so.
- Contact you at work if the collector knows that your employer prohibits personal calls.
- Contact you at inconvenient times or places.
- Falsely represent the character, amount or legal status of a debt
- Threaten to take actions that are illegal or not intended.
- Use obscene or profane language.
Once you are represented by an attorney, all communications from the debt collector to you must stop. Hiring an attorney can therefore be one of the most effective ways to stop debt collector abuse.